Once upon a time, the Castle
Dating back at least 800 BC, the Château de Mus represents one of the largest archaeological sites in Hérault, illustrating the prehistoric, Celtic, Roman, Greek and Etruscan ages.
The estate was named after an ancient fortified place called « Murus » (« rampart » in Latin) , built up on a promontory over the Orb river. At MUS, a Romanesque church was built in 1070 (today its restoration is in progress) such as one of the six first castles of the area.
Twice destroyed during the crusade against the Cathars in the 13th C. the former mansion was replaced in 1848 by a Renaissance-style castle, prefiguring the great times of the “wine chateaux”.